Five generations of Romanelli sculptors have passed through the wooden doors of the Studio: Pasquale Romanelli, his son Raffaello, followed by his son Romano, then Folco and currently brothers Raffaello and Vincenzo Romanelli. The gallery is based in the Oltrarno district in Florence, the artistic and artisinal heart of the city.
A former church, this space became Lorenzo Bartolini’s sculpture studio in 1829. Bartolini took advantage of the large arches and high ceilings of the building to work on his greatest monuments. Upon his master’s death, Pasquale took over the studio’s activity as his favourite pupil. Some of the original tools still remain here: the rotating wooden pedestal, and the two rams heads that formed part of the lifting system. The studio maintains its original function to this day, hosting sculptors and pupils alike within its walls.